“Teaching is not something one learns to do, once and for all, and then practises, problem-free, for a lifetime … Teaching depends on growth and development, and it is practised in dynamic situations that are never twice the same. “
(Ayers 1993 cited by Tezcan B, 2017. A customised approach. IATEFL Voices. Issue 258 September – October 2017. IATEL. Kent. )
Here is a list of many of the events and courses I have attended in order to develop my practice, knowledge and ELT competences. Additionally, there are also links to my other development activities including: ‘in-house’ training, reflective blogging and my profesional association memberships.
- Attended conferences and ESL events
- Attended Webinar training and online events
- Centerpoint Academy Teachers Club (In-house PD)
- Reflective Blogging
- Professional Memberships:
- THE SATURDAY SESSIONS: Getting it write in exams. London School of Languages. Donostia / San Sebastian. Saturday 10th November 2018.
- TEACHING ENGLISH ONLINE. Cambridge Assessment English via FutureLearn.com. August 2018.
- THE SATURDAY SESSIONS: Young Learners: Motivation Techniques and Management. London School of Languages. Donostia / San Sebastian. Saturday 14th April 2018.
- SHORT FILM IN LANGUAGE TEACHING THE BRITISH FILM INSTITUTE via FutureLearn.com. April 2018.
- THE SATURDAY SESSIONS: INTEGRATING EXAM PREPARATION. London School of Languages. Donostia / San Sebastian. Saturday 24th February 2018.
- THE SATURDAY SESSIONS: THE ART OF SPEAKING. London School of Languages. Donostia / San Sebastian. Saturday 27th January 2018.
TEACHING FOR SUCCESS: LESSONS AND TEACHING. British Council via FutureLearn.com. October 2017.
- CELTA- Cambridge University Language Assessment Certificate in teaching English to Speakers of other Languages. Taken during August 2017 at London School of Languages, Donostia – San Sebastian. Grade: Pass.
- Grammar for Language Teachers (full Course). Presented by Jo Gakonga. ELT-Training.com. Completed 5th July 2017
Attended conferences and ESL events:
- Tips for the tricky bits in C1 Advanced Paper 1 – Reading and Use of English: presented by Anne Robinson of Cambridge Assessment English. 19th October 2018. Lacunza-IH San Sebastián.
- British Council Bilbao 12th Annual Teachers’ Conference: Teaching for Success 3. 22nd September 2018. Colegio La Salle, Avenida Madariaga, 67, Deusto, Bilbao.
- MacMillan Academy Day, MacMillan Education. 25th May, Hotel Nervión, Bilbao.
- SpainWise North Careers Fair 2018. 19th May 2018. Botikazar Institute, Bilbao.
- 2nd Annual San Sebastian ELT Conference. 24th March 2018. Palacio Miramar. Language Testing Services. San Sebastián.
- TESOL-SPAIN 41st Annual National Convention. 9th-11th March, 2018 Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid
- British Council Bilbao 11th Annual Teachers’ Conference: Teaching for Success. 23rd September 2017. Colegio La Salle, Avenida Madariaga, 67, Deusto, Bilbao.
- MacMillan Teachers Day, MacMillan Education. 2nd June, Hotel Nervión, Bilbao.
- SpainWise North Careers Fair. 20th May 2017. Botikazar Institute, Bilbao.
- First San Sebastian ELT Conference. 1st April 2017. San Sebastián.
- British Council Bilbao 10th Annual Teachers Conference. 24th September 2016. Santa María Ikastetxea, Portugalete, Bilbao.
- British Council Bilbao 9th Annual Teachers Conference. 26th September 2015. British Council, Bilbao.
- British Council Bilbao 7th Annual Teachers Conference. 26th September 2013. British Council, Bilbao.
- British Council Bilbao 6th Annual Teachers Conference. 29th September 2012. British Council, Bilbao.
Attended Webinar training and online events:
- Imaging Pronunciation – from sight to sound. Presented by Robin Walker. TESOL-Spain webinars for teachers. 22tnd November 2018.
- Teaching English Pronunciation. Presented by Laura Patsko. MacMillan Education. 7th November 2018.
- The Image in English Language Teaching. Presented by Kieran Donaghy. TESOL-Spain webinars for teachers. 25th October 2018.
- The Forgotten Skill: Building Vocabulary for spoken production. Presented by Kerstin Okubo. IATEFL webinars. 6th October.
- Teaching English Online. Facebook Live session presented by Marie Therese Swabey. Cambridge Assessment English Teaching. 20th September 2018.
- Using Technology to Encourage Face-to-face Conversation Presented by Alex Warren. National Geographic Learning. 19th September 2018.
- Teaching Teenagers. Presented by Chris Roland. TESOL-Spain. 3rd May 2018
- Minds Matter: Psychology of language learning. Presented by Sarah Mercer. Oxford University press. 18th April 2018
- The Questions We Ask. Presented by Andrew Walkley. National Geographic Learning. 20th March 2018.
- Using games for win/win learning. Presented by John Hughes. Oxford University Press. 15th February 2017.
- Do you Speak Emoji?. Presented by Shaun Wilden. Oxford University Press. 17th January 2018.
- Re-imagining the curriculum: meeting the grammar needs of today’s students. Presented by Keith Folse. National Geographic Learning. 6th December 2017.
- Personalization in an impersonal world. Presented by John Hughes. National Geographic Learning. 21st November 2017.
- Identity, voice and collaboration: Tips for bringing big ideas from TED Talks into the classroom. Presented By Lewis Lansford and Hetain Patel. National Geographic Learning. 25th October 2017.
- The Creative Classroom. Presented by Katherine Stannett. National Geographic Learning. 5th October 2017.
- Teaching Grammar Lexically. Presented by Hugh Dellar. National Geographic Learning. 20th September 2017.
- Tips for Teaching Real English in the ELT classroom. Presented by Lewis Lansford. National Geographic Learning. 12th September 2017.
- Teaching pronunciation for English as a Lingua Franca. Presented by Laura Patsko. IATEFL Webinars. 9th September 2017.
- How can technology support & facilitate teacher development, IATEFL Webinars. 19th August 2017.
- Bubbling Under: helping ideas to surface in speaking classes. Presented by Edmund Dudley. Oxford University Press. 13th July 2017.
- Critical Thinking in English Language Teaching, National Geographic Learning. 1st March 2017.
- Teach with Digital: using digital tools to improve writing, Cambridge English Language Assessment. 8th May 2017.
- Teach with Digital: using digital tools to enrich your learner’s vocabulary, Cambridge English Language Assessment. 24th April 2017.
- Wider World Webinars: Interactivity. Presented by Dr. Ken Beatty. Pearson ELT. 10th April 2017.
- Wider World Webinars: Assessment for learning. Presented by Brian Enquist and Elena Merino. Pearson ELT. 7th April 2017.
- Wider World Webinars: Bridging the authenticity gap. Presented by Philip Warwick. Pearson ELT. 29th March 2017.
- Effective Exam Practice for Teenagers. MacMillan Education. 17th May 2016.
- Finding Balance. MacMillan Education. 11th May 2016.
- Feedback for Moving Forward. Presented by Johanna Stirling. Cambridge English Teacher. 25th May 2016.
- 10 practical activities for exam success. Presented by Sam McCarter. MacMillan Education. 9th September 2015.
- Cambridge English Empower: bringing learning-orientated assessment into the classroom. Cambridge English Language Assessment. 3rd June 2015
- Speaking skills for Cambridge English: First for Schools 2015 update. Cambridge English Language Assessment. 3rd June 2015.
- Developing and Assessing Listening Skills at B1 and B2 level. Cambridge English Language Assessment. 29th January 2014.
- Success in the Classroom. Presented by Veríssimo Toste. Oxford University Press. 10th May 2013.
- Bringing the four skills together. Presented by Chris Graham. Oxford University Press. 7th June 2013.
- Assessing Speaking: the challenges and opportunities of using a paired format. 12th December 2012.
- Approaches to Teaching Academic Writing. Presented by Louis Rogers. Oxford University Press. 26th September 2012.
- Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Presented by Shaun Wilden. Oxford University Press. 26th September 2012.
- How are Cambridge English Writing papers marked? Cambridge English Language Assessment. 19th September 2012.
- Learner-centred communicative grammar. Presented by Peter Lucantoni. Cambridge English Language Assessment. 18th July 2012.
- Prepare for success! Cambridge English: Advanced speaking. Cambridge English Language Assessment.16th July 2012.
Centerpoint Academy Teachers Club (In-house PD):
During the third term of the 2016/17 academic year I was also involved in establishing the ‘Teachers Club’ at our academy where a small group of us meet to both develop our skills as well as to exchange knowledge, ideas experience and advice.
- Teachers Tuesday pizza club (PDF program)
- A Year In Review: 2017-18
- Another Academic Year In Review: 2016-17
- Reflecting on the 2015/16 academic year
- My CELTA experience – It was quite a ride!
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) – paid individual member
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Spain – paid individual member